QUOTE OF THE WEEK

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: No act of kindness, no matter how small, ever goes unnoticed - Aesop














Monday, May 9, 2011

St. George Ironman 2011

I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Ironman event held yesterday in St. George, and since this week's goal was about becoming a volunteer, I thought I'd share my experience with you.

The Ironman is considered the ultimate in conditioning events (think of a triathalon on steriods).  The athletes begin with a 2.4 mile swim in open water.  I don't know how many of you have ever tried to swim more than a couple of hundred yards at one time, but it's BRUTAL.  The moment after they leave the water, the participants hop on a bicycle and ride 112 miles:

As if that weren't enough, the event is finished by running a marathon - which is 26.2 miles, in case you were wondering:


To top things off, it was over 90 degrees on Saturday.  I was working at Run Station #1 in the afternoon, the first station located on the running course.  There were three lanes of athletes on our street; a lane of cyclists finishing their loop, and the entry and returning lanes for the marathon.  There were athletes from all over the world in every shape, size, and of varying ages.  Some of them chose to wear something quirky to set them apart, others chose to compete while carrying something meaningful.  One of my favorites was this runner, who chose to carry an American flag:
One runner came through competing on an artificial leg.  It was quite remarkable!

Despite the heat, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was interesting to meet new people, and I felt a quiet satisfaction and pride at being able to help these people - most of whom were complete strangers - be able to realize their dream.  It only took one afternoon of my time, but it made a huge difference to the athletes.  I know they appreciated it, because many took the time to thank the volunteers.

So again, I urge you to look for ways to volunteer and become involved with a good cause.  You'll never regret your decision :)

No comments: