QUOTE OF THE WEEK

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: No act of kindness, no matter how small, ever goes unnoticed - Aesop














Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Weekly Goal #1 - Become a Volunteer

I know it's midweek and you may be thinking it's a little late to announce this week's goal.

Actually, my hope is that this goal extends beyond a week's time.  In fact, it would be great if it could become a permanent part of your lifestyle.

This week's goal is...learning to VOLUNTEER.

I believe this is a great concept, to give back to society when your situation allows.  The things you do don't have to be earth shattering; they can be as simple as spending an hour at your child's school once a week or putting in some yard work for an elderly neighbor. 

Here are a few idea to make volunteering a positive experience:
  • Recognize a need in your neighborhood or community. 
  • Find something you are passionate about.
  • CHEERFULLY give of your time.
  • Be dependable.
There are many benefits of volunteering.  For example, the knowledge that you've made a difference can provide you with an extremely satisfying feeling, and I've also found my own problems and worries seem less stressful when I'm concentrating on someone other than myself. 

I've volunteered off and on for various things throughout the years.  Currently, I volunteer two days a month playing the piano at a care center.  Are there other things I could be doing with this time?  Yes - but I wouldn't trade seeing the grateful smiles on the residents' faces when I visit them :)

There is another program I'm volunteering with this week...but I'm keeping it a secret for now.  You'll have to check back to see what it is.  I helped with it last year and had a wonderful time !!

My challenge to you is to look around and identify a person or program which needs help.  Once you find them, choose to act.  After all, only by helping each other can we ever hope to get through this life!

No comments: