QUOTE OF THE WEEK

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: No act of kindness, no matter how small, ever goes unnoticed - Aesop














Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Practicing What I Preach

In looking over this blog, I realize I am asking you to make certain changes in your life without sharing much about how I am trying to incorporate these ideas into my own life.  I decided I'd better start coming clean about overcoming my own struggles so people won't think I'm a hypocrite : )


Monday started with the best of intentions.  My youngest child now has a three hour block of preschool twice a week, and I had all sorts of plans to make the most of that time.  First on my list was renewing my driver's license.  I made the 18 minute trek to the DMV only to discover it was a 2-3 hour wait.  No biggie, I thought.  I could swing by my next appointment a little early.  I was planning to donate blood, so I'd brought along a book to read.  I figured I could just read a few minutes in the parking lot before it was time for my appointment; after all, I love a good book :)  I drove back to St. George and parked outside the donation building, and read for a few minutes before walking into my appointment.  I had donated several times before, so I didn't anticipate any problems. 


Boy, was I wrong.  First, the computers were down so it took an extremely long time to check in.  Next, it was discovered I was due for a physical.  Nothing was said about needing a physical when I scheduled the appointment, so I hadn't planned time for it.  Luckily, they were willing to squeeze me in; I soon began the first part of the physical, which included a lengthy interview about health history.  We were just getting ready to begin the exam when the nurse asked if I'd had my vitals done yet.  I hadn't, so I was sent over to the vitals area to have my blood pressure, heart rate, and temperate taken.  Everything looked great as usual; the only test I had left was a quick finger prick to check my iron and protein levels.  By this time, nearly an hour had passed and I was definitely more than ready to begin my donation.  Unfortunately, I was thwarted from my goal once again;  my iron level came in one point lower than they allow for donation. 


Two of my precious "free" hours were now gone with nothing to show for it.  There was nothing to do but try not to dwell on the disappointment and move on to my last errand.  I had heard of a part-time employment opportunity that might fit my situation and I wanted to investigate it more thoroughly.  I entered the building and spoke with the receptionist, who directed me to the person in charge of recruitment and hiring.  After waiting for about 10 minutes, I was able to speak with this individual directly.  We had a very nice conversation, and I was excited about finally getting something done. 


My excitement was sadly short-lived.  When the interviewer learned which job I was interested in, she told me that an outside company was in charge of filling that position.  She passed on the address and phone number and wished me luck. 


I was zero for three at this point, and I had just used up the last of my three hours.  At this point, I was feeling much like this:


My 8th grader, caught in an obvious moment of frustration!
 As I rushed home in time to get my little one from class, I could literally feel my blood pressure beginning to rise rapidly.  But before I gave in to this wave of negative emotion, I suddenly remembered what I'd posted about earlier in the day and a sarcastic little voice in my head asked "are you enjoying the ride right now?"  The answer was a resounding NO.  Here I was, so caught up in "mourning the past" that I had effectively prevented myself from "living in the moment." (See last post)

I felt more than a little sheepish; here I had tossed my own advice out the window at the first sign of trouble!  I immediately started to focus on the positive aspects of my day and soon began to feel calmer.  Much calmer.  And realized that as much as I hope to help others with this blog...I have a long ways to go myself. 


Which is why I chose to share this journey with friends :)

No comments: