QUOTE OF THE WEEK

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: No act of kindness, no matter how small, ever goes unnoticed - Aesop














Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What I am Doing

I thought I'd share the new thing I'm trying this week.

I'm planning to run my first 10k.

Friends who know me from high school are probably thinking 'what's the big deal about that?'  For those of you who know little about me or my earlier years, let me share a bit of my background.  I was a sprinter.  A member of the high school track team for four years and a state champion in three events.  I had scholarship offers, but an injury at the state meet my senior year put an end to pursuing a collegiate career.  However, I loved running and continued to run regularly into my late twenties.

However, a year after the birth of my third child, I began to experience major health problems.  Debilitating health problems.  After a battery of tests was inconclusive, the doctors decided I was probably experiencing chronic fatigue syndrome.  I would have bouts of intense fibromyalgia and painful joints, sometimes accompanied by phlebitis (swelling and irritation of the veins).  For roughly a year, I was nearly bedridden.  It was an extremely difficult time for me and my family, as you can imagine.

After making some lifestyle changes, I slowly began to improve.  I resumed my regular activities as soon as I was able - almost all of them, that is.  After months of trying to run, I learned my body could no long handle high impact exercise, and I sadly gave up my great love.

For ten years, I gradually became stronger.  About two years ago, I decided the time had come to give running another try.  We had just moved to St. George, and the climate is perfect for year-round training.  I was a little hesitant to begin with, but after experimentation found I could handle 3-4 days of moderate training per week without flaring up my joint and muscle problems. 

What a joy it's been to be able to return to something I loved so dearly!  There have been adjustments made; I was a sprinter before, not a distance runner, and I don't know if I'll ever return to 100%.  Yet, I've been able to compete in two 5k races so far.  I decided it was time to push myself out of my comfort zone and tackle a 10k.

So there you have it - I'm trying my first 10k this weekend.  Am I nervous?  Yes, a bit.  But, I can always walk it if I need to...and I'll never know if I can do it until I at least try.

No comments: