QUOTE OF THE WEEK

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: No act of kindness, no matter how small, ever goes unnoticed - Aesop














Thursday, March 3, 2011

Weekly Goal #1 - Getting to Know "You"

Who are you?

At first glance, this question seems deceptively simple.  Yet, stop and think about it - when was the last time you sat down and took inventory of yourself?  Really examined the things that make you, well, YOU.

What are your hopes?  Dreams?  Things you either really like or strongly dislike?  Pet peeves?  Strengths and weaknesses?  Which things are most important to you? What are you motivated by?   Have any of these answers changed over the years? If so, how and why?

My husband and I have strong pageant backgrounds in the roles of director, producer, and participant.  We've helped prepare contestants for interview competition in local, state, and national pageants.  The key to having a good interview is the ability to sell yourself to the judges.  It's difficult to promote an item you know little about; you probably wouldn't buy a car from a salesman who knew little or nothing about the vehicle he's trying to sell.  This same concept applies to "selling" yourself.  One of the first steps in our interview preparation is to give the contestants a list of questions that requires them to take a deeper look at themselves.

I'd like to pass along some of these questions for you to mull over.  While you probably aren't preparing for a pageant, these will hopefully provoke some critical thinking:

Which three adjectives best describe me?
Other than a family member, who has had the greatest impact in my life?  Why?
If I only had one day to live, how would I spend it?
Am I attracted to someone more by their looks or their personality?
Would I rather watch the movie or read the book?
If my home were on fire and I could only rescue one item, what would it be?  Why?
What is one quality I don't have but would like to possess?
How would my best friend describe me?
If I could meet any famous person (dead or alive) who would it be?
Which am I motivated most by: money, power, praise, or duty?
Am I a leader, or a follower?
If I could change one decision I have made, which would it be?
After I die, what is the one thing I hope people will remember about me?
What is one possession I absolutely couldn't go without for a day?
What would people who know me well be surprised to learn about me?

Of course there are many other questions, but these happen to be some of my favorites.  Do you have favorites of your own not listed here?  If so, please feel free to share them.

I challenge you to take a little time over the next few days to think through these questions and closely examine the results.  Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers; each answer will be unique to the individual answering the question.  I only ask that you be honest as you set out to know yourself a little better.

1 comment:

Kylie and Drew said...

Kim, I really love that you're doing this. :) I have struggled with our move to Vegas a lot and this sort of "project" is just what I need to see the positive and kind of re form myself to living here. Thanks! :)